Hammering On Hammer Tongs
Kainon and I finished the first set of Brian Brazeal style hammer tongs on Thursday at the Zilker Botanical Garden Forge. We are pretty happy with the results, Kainon did the majority of the striking and final shaping on these and I assisted as needed. Kainon downloaded the specs and some photos of the tongs in various stages of completion, we puzzled out our first pair over the course of two days. We started mine after these were done and got them almost finished today. The second pair has gone much faster as we have made many adjustments to our technique and improved our efficiency dramatically.
You can see the printed photo instructions on the chest behind Kainon in the shot above. He and I spent quite a while discussing how we would proceed with the fabrication of the tongs. We got very focused and were able to really capitalize on our ability to work as team on this project.
We also discovered we did the punching out of sequence, we should have bent the reins and then done the slot punch. It really didn’t effect us too badly, the slots remained open and in the right orientation for drifting anyway.
You can see in the photo above we have finished the bends and rounded the ends of the tongs to Brian’s preferred shape. The first hole has been drifted for the rivet and we are ready to drift the second rein.
I will have to take photos of the riveting on the second pair. Kainon and I got in a hurry to finish these and stopped taking photos every few minutes. I took the last couple shots on the way out to the parking lot, that’s how focused we got. I promise I will post photos for the final steps involving riveting, final shaping and refinement, etc.
Thanks for having a look and have fun!